MOM'S SAUCY APPLE CAKE
This is yet another family dessert favourite. The kids love the sauce – but what's not to love about sugar and butter! When apple season hits, my dad's orchard yields way more than "an apple a day," so here is a sweet ending.
RECIPE: Mom's Saucy Apple Cake (Serves 8)
1 cup (250 mL) sugar
1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, cubed, at room temperature
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
2 cups (500 mL) chopped peeled apples (McIntosh or Gala)
1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) white sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) 18% cream
1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, butter and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir into batter with apples. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until centre of cake springs back when lightly touched or a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the sauce, combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Serve cake warm with warm sauce.
Kitchen Notes: If by lucky chance you have any sauce leftover, it's divine on top of vanilla ice cream.
Cooking in season is easy when you keep a list of ten ways to serve your favourite seasonal ingredients. For example, apples ten ways: apple pancakes, dried apples for granola, apples with pork tenderloin, apples in a spinach salad, apples in a smoked trout and mâche salad, fruit kabobs, fruit and chocolate fondue, applesauce, apple cake and, of course, an apple in my pocket for the perfect afternoon snack. Cheers to enjoying these final moments of fall.
For more recipes and good stuff, head to Magwood.co.