SUMMER ENTERTAINING: ELENA'S SUCCOTASH
This refreshing summer dish can be a salad, a side or a meal. Make it the day ahead – it's best the second day.
RECIPE: Elena's Succotash (Serves 6-8)
Zest and juice of 1 lime
2 tsp (10 mL) butter, melted
1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
4 ears corn, husked
1 sweet red pepper, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
1 1/2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup (250 mL) shelled edamame, blanched and cooled
1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 avocado, cubed (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Stir together lime zest, butter and cayenne. Brush on corn.
- Grill, turning every 3 or 4 minutes, until soft and lightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let cool.
- Working over a large bowl, cut corn off the cob. Add red pepper, red onion, green onions, tomatoes, edamame, olive oil, salt and lime juice. Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add avocado, if using, just before serving.