Apricot & Cranberry Buttermilk Scones
For almost ten years, these scones were a favourite dish café item. Former dish chef Elena popularized them, and she still makes the best!
MAKES 8 MEDIUM SCONES.
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk, plus 1 tbsp
- (15 mL) for brushing
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) rock sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter and pulse just until mixture resembles coarse meal, leaving a few pea-sized pieces of butter. (You can also do this in a bowl, using a pastry blender.)
Pour into a bowl. Using a fork, stir in apricots and cranberries until mixed throughout. Stir in buttermilk just until incorporated. Do not over-mix.
Gather dough into a ball until it just holds together. Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead briefly. Press into a circle about 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick. Cut into 8 triangles. Transfer triangles to prepared cookie sheet. Brush tops with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) buttermilk and sprinkle with rock sugar.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.