Creamy Winter Tomato Soup
This pantry soup is so quick and so comforting, but tastes like it took you hours. It's also good cold.
SERVES 4 TO 6
- 2 cans (each 28 oz/796 mL) chopped tomatoes
- 2 roasted sweet red peppers, seeded
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 35% cream
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) butter, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh basil, for garnish
In a food processor, purée tomatoes and red peppers. Pour into a saucepan and add stock, sugar and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in cream. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in butter, a piece at a time. Serve garnished with basil.